How To Become A Beach Lifeguard
Ages 16 + Years
The NVBLQ is a RNLI and RLSS standard in beach lifeguarding. This qualification enables you to apply for Beach lifeguarding job in Ireland, UK, and abroad. The NVBLQ course is a minimum of 40 hours long followed by a practical assessment on beach theory, life support, first aid, swimming pool practical and open water practical. The NVBLQ certificate is valid for two years from the date of successful completion.
- Jump/dive into deep water
- Swim 400m in a recommended time of 7mins 30 secs
- Have surfed a number of times – does not need to be proficient on their feet but be able to paddle out back easily
- Swim 200m continuously on their front and back
- Run at least 400m
- Surface dive up to 2m
- Have had previous surf lessons before coming onto the course
- Ability to swim side stroke or inverted breaststroke
How The Programme Works
The NVBLQ covers all elements of beach lifeguard theory, Cardio Plulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), First Aid, Pool Skills & Open Water Skills. The couses is physically demanding and will include swimming to set times as well as lifting. The NVBLQ is comprised of four modules and all must be successfully passed to attain qualification.
Beach Lifeguarding & Understanding
Life Support & First Aid